from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

5.31.2005

tudo bem?

i sit in a cubicle at work, in an area surrounded by several offices. it can get pretty loud, but on this particular tuesday morning, it's dead silent (my pounding head greatly appreciates this) ... until plant caretakers arrive (it seems like they only show up every month, so i have no idea how the plants stay alive, but who am i to judge)

as they wander, some form of the following conversation takes place about five times -- person a -- how are you?/person b -- good, real good. yourself?/person a -- doing great./person b -- glad to hear it.

standards replies, because really, no one cares how you're doing. we're simply compelled to have these silly transactions. it seems the brazilians really have nipped this. the standard greeting 'tudo bem?' is replied to in kind with 'tudo bem'. as far as i can tell, this basically translates to "everything well?" so, rather than the open ended 'how are you?' the question very directly implies the expected answer.

i would like to take this opportunity to amend my answer to the 'how are you" conversation i had this morning:

person a -- how are you?
me -- well, i have a piercing pain throughout my head and i'd really prefer to be in bed right now snuggled up next to my girlfriend with the sheets pulled over my head. but because i don't have much sick time built up i am sitting at my stupid desk in front of my stupid computer, probably smelling like a small brewery, feeling like ass and having nothing to do but read the latest aviation news.

tudo bem?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home