from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

6.12.2005

stranger

welcome to paris. there’s really nothing like sitting in a room full of people and being the only american, the only one who doesn’t speak portuguese and/or french, the only vegetarian and (so far as i can tell) the only gay person. it’s amazing how easy it is to appear engaged even without knowing a word of what they’re saying. after many hours of this, i escaped to walk around the city a bit, do what little sightseeing i could, and grab a bite to eat at my own pace. i wandered along the seine, saw notre dame, the louvre, the eiffel tower (from a distance) and lots of life in paris. it is a beautiful and busy city.

toward the end of the evening i found myself (as i often do when traveling for work) in the 'gay’ section of town. (does anyone else do this?) after spending hours with people i know, but with whom i am only linked to through work, finding the closest gay bar feels oddly like home. it was no different here. it only took a few minutes for a couple of gay boys to take me under their wing.

it’s nearly midnight here on sunday. and just around 6pm at home. the air show opens tomorrow morning. it’s sure to be three days of absolute mayhem.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I understand finding your people. I do the same thing when I travel. Years ago, was in LA for two weeks and found myself on Santa Monica Blvd. every night. I didn't feel so far away from home when walking those few blocks.

Hope you are having a good time. You were sorely missed on Sunday. Your girl was in softball heaven.

6/13/2005 08:42:00 AM

 
Anonymous Amy said...

Lucky!

6/13/2005 10:12:00 AM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

I definitely seek out the gay folk when I travel. I have never been out of the country to hang out with FOREIGN gay people, though!

I am so jealous you are in France. Have a lovely time. Miss you, sweetie.

6/13/2005 01:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Post more pictures! I heard about the Airbus/Boeing rivalry on NPR this morning--the correspondent was at the show. Pretty cool. :) Love ya...

6/16/2005 11:11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home