from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

8.17.2005

flashback

perhaps if it had not been a workday, lunchtime sighting, the encounter would have been different, but – today i went to lunch with some co-workers, and (i’ve been expecting this since moving back to ft. lauderdale) i saw a guy with whom i went to middle and high school. after mentally considering the possible scenario involving me approaching his table, and ‘introducing’ myself, i decided against it. but i might have stared a little. and sure i googled the guy when once back at my desk, but it turned up nothing.

it’s something of a conundrum. what’s with the immense curiosity that makes me want to talk to these people, when i know i’m not looking to be friends? and i hated high school, so what’s with the desire to connect to someone who from that period?

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

At least you can remember who the guy was. I am constantly adrift in a world where I see people I recognize all the time but can't tell where I know them from...school, work, dream. And I suppose it is likely that I don't even notice people I knew all the time - making it easy for your tactics to work.

Who are you again?

8/17/2005 03:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

I'm more from Amy's camp. My greatest problem being that I don't remember their name and fear I may be required to introduce them to my companions of the moment.

Not knowing if your were out during High School, could it be a desire for these folks of the past to know you for who your really are?

8/17/2005 04:49:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

whereas, i saw the guy and knew his name instantly. you know cindy, it would be a little bit of fun to get the reaction ...

8/17/2005 05:00:00 PM

 
Anonymous ang said...

i am working on commenting .... so, here it goes ...
it happens to me all the time, in an annoying way. i also find myself ducking out of a place to spare myself a boring conversation with someone that i don't even care to be talking to. what these people put us through!!

8/17/2005 07:48:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

yep ... angela this is precisely why i opted against saying hello. well, that and the fact that five of my co-workers close enough to experience it with me. no thanks ;)

8/18/2005 09:36:00 AM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

No matter how many times I have been down to South Florida, I have had that situation.

But I may have blocked my ENTIRE high school experience out completely. I was probably too hungry to remember it anyway. Pffffth.

8/18/2005 12:48:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home