from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

8.03.2005

i [heart] gadgets …

although i don’t have many of my own. lindsay is the first to point out that there is no need for me to have these things because i lose or break them. while there is a great element of truth in this, it does nothing to diminish my desire for geeky gadgets. in fact, I just stopped reading about new-fangled technology in small packages, because it hurts too much. this week, i joyously acquired a treo from work. a lovely little combo phone/palm/messaging device (complete with itty bitty keyboard). this is a treat (if i can just figure out how to use it.)

on the flight to atlanta (a pit stop before toronto) listening to my very own music, playing through my cd walkman, was positively delightful. but it struck me – in my lifetime, the portable, personal cd player has gone from ‘holy cow that’s the coolest’ to old school. then, in a too-cruel blow to the cd walkman, in the atlanta airport we passed a techno-gadget vending machine. that’s right. pop in credit card. push a few buttons. retrieve new ipod from the bin below. there was the mini, the shuffle, accessories … all right there in concourse a. what will they think of next?

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Hear! Hear! to the gadgets! I love my palm phone, et al. I can't wait until I get the wireless earpiece. There are so many gadgets and so little time, so little money.

8/04/2005 08:55:00 AM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

You know, I just can't seem to get into the gadget thing. My geekiness only extends to being passionately enthusiastic about my new Mac. (I even have the apple sticker on my office door).

8/04/2005 09:20:00 AM

 
Anonymous amy said...

Shame that the unsuspecting traveller who purchased an ipod in airport would be listening to silence. Unless they had their laptop with them and their music already loaded into itunes and were just wandering around hoping to stumble across one.

How's that for a geeky response?

8/04/2005 02:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Dirty Pop said...

I was just certain that entry was going to end with you stating that you had dropped your CD player and broken the damn thing.

i hate gadgets.

Unless of course they are being sold in Sports Authority.

8/06/2005 08:41:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home