from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

8.19.2005

the last blast

hunter s. thompson, long-time rolling stone national correspondent and huge personality, lived an outrageous life. he was the posterboy for gonzo journalism, a kind of writing in which the reporter, the reporter’s viewpoint and the pursuit of the story is as much the story as the subject at hand. he covered narcotics, nixon’s election campaigns, ran for sheriff in colorado, spent a year riding with hell’s angels … having read the march issue of rolling stone - which eulogized Thompson - cover to cover, i find his death as fascinating as his life. toward the end, thompson was enduring painful and somewhat debilitating medical conditions. quite deliberately and, seemingly, after months of planning, at the age of 67 he settled his affairs before deploying a bullet through his head. as reported in the denver post, tomorrow thompson’s ashes will be shot from fireworks launchers over his home in woody creek, while up to 400 of his closest friends watch (presumably libation in hand) from a bar constructed for the occasion. now that, my friends, is one hell of a funeral.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

My dad gave me Fear and Loathing when I was about 14. He wanted me to look at the illustrations by Ralph Steadman. I felt like I needed to sneak the reading the book even though Dad had given it to me.

Anyway, it is a fitting way for him to be remembered.

8/19/2005 03:45:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

so what did you think of the book aside from the illustrations?

8/22/2005 08:39:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home