from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

9.28.2005

the chinstrap (patent pending)

a multitude of gadgets and gizmos are out there claiming to make air travel more comfortable, more productive, more … not like being packed into a flying tin can. there are semi-circle shaped pillows to wrap around the neck; noise canceling headphones; meds to keep you from getting sick while breathing everyone else’s recycled air.

here’s the thing: the second i sit down on an airplane – i don’t know, maybe it’s the air – i get sleepy. i can sleep on a plane like nobody’s business. no eye mask, no pillow, no earplugs … just out. and, i don’t care who you are, when you’re sitting virtually upright in a seat snoozing, it is nearly impossible for your mouth not to fall open. for some it’s just a little gap. for others it’s a fly-catching canyon of a mouth hang.

so i propose an addition to the travel gadget arsenal: the chinstrap. a simple, adjustable strap that hangs on each ear and fits snug under the chin to prevent hang. designer colors. monogrammed. or complete with a sign reading ‘please don’t wake me, just leave me a water.’

who wants in?

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I am sooooo jealous you can sleep on planes. With a 33" inseam my knees barely clear the seat in front of me. I arrived in Frankfort with a handful of 15 minute "naps" as everyone else around me snoozed away.

You could also bill the chin strap as a mini face lift. A bonus with your flight.

9/29/2005 08:46:00 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

I'll take 2!! Can there also be something hanging from the ceiling that supports your head so you don't collapse on your neighbor when you finally DO fall asleep?

9/29/2005 08:51:00 AM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

I think you spend WAY too much time on airplanes!

But I would definitely go with the "Just leave me a water" sign.

9/29/2005 09:19:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am just glad to be off of a plane or moving object for the next 11 days ... that's the only silver lining i can find about having to leave home again ....
ang

10/03/2005 05:11:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home