from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

9.15.2005

counter intelligence

reading dooce’s public education post (15 sept) reminded me …

during a recent football jersey purchase, there appeared a little dilemma: college football. numbers only – 1 or 8. no idea who wears either.

okay it’s possible, though not necessarily ideal, to get by with #1.you know, ‘i chose #1 because my team IS number one.’ a thinly veiled rationale, but it could do in a pinch. ideally though, it’s good to know exactly who on the field will be wearing that number – mostly so you know when to duck and run vs. stand proud while watching the game at the local bar. so i asked.

me:: do you know who wears the numbers 8 and 1? or do you have a roster so that we could look it up?

girl at the counter:: ummm … nn-no, i don’t know. but anyway, they aren’t allowed to print names on the jerseys. so the number isn’t really meant to be any one player.

me:: sure, but there are players on the field wearing these numbers and it would be nice to at least …

girl:: well it really doesn’t matter because it’s just not meant to stand for a particular player, because they don’t print the names on the jerseys.

me:: right. great. thank you so much for your help.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kiker said...

Oh, that is a sad, sad tale.

These are the moments when I think Catholic school may be the only option. *sigh*

(And don't tell me I work in public education or that I am a lesbian. I know both of these things. *wink*)

9/19/2005 10:19:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home