from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

9.19.2005

not my south

traveling through florida can, at times, be just like traveling through the deep south … or like traveling through a demented time warp. on the way home from tampa yesterday i stopped in a town just north of naples. while in line at the gas station, this guy starts talking to me. it was one of those times when one stereotype begets another - he had a heavy drawl, was missing a front tooth, wearing dirty jeans and purchasing a busch tall boy.

“you live out at the cape?” he asked. i had not a clue what or where 'the cape' is, but figured it didn’t matter.

“no. ft. lauderdale.”

“oh, yeah. i used to live up there. right up there off 95? in dania beach?”

“it’s a great place to live.” one of those things you say not just because you believe it, but also because well … what else do you say?

“huhhuh. no it ain’t. it ain’t nothin’ but n@**&# city over there.”

and the only words i could muster as i picked my jaw off the floor and walked away was, “you have got to be kidding.”

6 Comments:

Anonymous davidtenk said...

Good luck with Rita.

9/19/2005 03:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

OH MY GOODNESS! That is always so shocking, isn't it?? Hope Rita stays away from you guys...

9/20/2005 08:52:00 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Yeah, I was house-sitting in New Jersey when I lived up in NY and we decided to go to a local bar. We were greeted with similar sentiments from a local man about his perception of NYC. We couldn't get out of that place fast enough.

9/20/2005 09:16:00 AM

 
Anonymous ramer said...

People are amazing.

Bumper sticker I saw the other day:

"My Heritage, Your Ignorance"

9/20/2005 10:47:00 AM

 
Blogger betsy said...

that's fantastic.

9/20/2005 11:16:00 AM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

Yeah, that whole area around there is weird... Lots of big trucks and way too many rebel flags.

I once had a thing for rebel flags (I was young, okay?!?)... Betsy tried to explain why they were offensive and I was NOT trying to hear it.

My how things change...

(Jesus doesn't like bigotry)

9/20/2005 12:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home