from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

1.09.2006

funny peculiar

we’ve had a guest at our place for a few days and it’s been a nice change of pace. it’s also been a little eye opening. one brief conversation last night went something like this:

“do you think we’re too parental?”

“n-n-no. i mean, you’re definitely parental but i wouldn’t say you’re too parental.”

“really?!”

“well … you just seem a little set in your ways.”

i’m sure many of you are laughing in that oh-i-coulda-told-you-that-a-long-time-ago way right now, but to me it’s mildly surprising. having always considered myself pretty easy going it’s humorous, though a little unsettling, to realize how opinionated i really am about certain things. dining etiquette, for example, has been a hot topic at home lately. growing up, my father always held fast to certain rules in this regard: no elbows on the table. don’t start eating until your host is seated and eating, too. don’t eat with your mouth open. stay at the table until everyone is finished eating. and don’t race, nose in plate, through a meal.

is it really inevitable that we become our parents? does anyone else share these or similar peculiarities?

**on another note, this is the big week for alito. jill takes a look at some questions that need to be answered. let your senators hear from you!

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

The dining custom's in our house growing up were a smidge more relaxed. As a matter of fact they sound to have been in exact opposition to yours. Mom sat last always and she still managed to finish first. (Dad often kidded that he was gonna put her in contests at the fair). It was a proud day when I finished a meal before her.

As crazy as that may sound we always had dinner together, a meal my mother would prepare after a full day's work and we would talk about our day after we scarfed down our meal. It worked for us.

1/10/2006 10:03:00 AM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

OK, I think I want more information. Is the set in your ways comment about your dining habits? Are you scolding your guest for eating too quickly, thus making you parental???? It all begs for more conversation.

Families eating together? What a novel idea. In my family that was mostly reserved for the Sunday lunch when my mother cooked a roast and holidays.

1/10/2006 12:53:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

no the dining was just an example. there are others, all quite inocuous but enough that they made an impression.

my "family" always ate together too. i put that in quotes because my brothers were so much older that once i hit middle school they were mostly off at school or work and family dinners were just me, mom and dad. nice nonetheless and something i would certainly want for my own family.

1/10/2006 02:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

Perhaps you seem set in your ways to people younger than you. Ya'll don't seem particularly set in your ways to me & Ames...

My family ate dinner together every night. I think it is important. The TV was not allowed to be on. And everyone participated in the conversation.

1/10/2006 02:33:00 PM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

I will not make any comment about your age or how "set in your ways" you may be. Given that I am approaching a new decade marker and have some very specific routines that have existed for years, some as more than twenty, I doubt I have any room to poke fun.

1/10/2006 08:24:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home