from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

2.24.2006

friday frivolity

“but what you do [on your blog] is different … myspace is just place to say things like, oh you look totally hot.”

this is part of an ongoing conversation with a friend who likes to chide me about my disdain for myspace. and it precisely defines why i have this love/hate thing. but as amy points out it’s what the kids are doing. i caved in earlier this year and got my[own]space. but no, i’m not posting more pictures on myspace. i prefer flickr thank you very much. and, this page is enough to satisfy my narcissistic idea that someone might actually be interested in the random things i write about. but the truth is- i check myspace every day.

here’s where it’s truly fun: you can peek into the lives of people from your past for a satisfying dose of nostalgia without that awkward, standing in the grocery store aisle wondering what the hell to say to this person moment.

so for a little friday fun, log into that evil little corner of the internet. see who you can dig up. let us know what you find.

7 Comments:

Blogger ramer said...

I can't lie... Although the design and animated gifs kill me, I have spent the last 2 friday afternoons lost in myspace. Drilling down to people I haven't seen or heard from in years.

It's addicting. I can honestly say, I do not have a page though.

We'll see how long that lasts. ;o)

2/24/2006 11:22:00 AM

 
Blogger Estelle said...

My best friend uses myspace. I hate it. I don't even read her blog that often because mypace just bugs me. Well that, and we basically live parallel lives so why read about something I am living?

2/24/2006 11:44:00 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

i have gotten pretty hooked myself. AND searching for people based on their high school lends to some interesting discoveries about your former classmates.

Any way, it's all moot for me, because "big brother" just discovered the massive amounts of workers cruising Myspace and now it's unaccessible from our office server. Ugh!

2/24/2006 12:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Oddly, the only person I've managed to find on it is the sister of my friend Tommy (she was in my grade and Tommy was a year behind us) who died in Ybor during a concert. I didn't know he had died until I found her myspace page.

Tribune article

2/24/2006 02:41:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

addicting, indeed.

but amy, i'm sorry your experience was worse that the rest of ours :(

2/27/2006 08:24:00 AM

 
Blogger manbags said...

did you know rupert murdoch owns myspace? that there's reason enough to run for the hills! we'll see how long before i actually do though- 'tis addictive indeed!

3/01/2006 07:29:00 PM

 
Blogger manbags said...

RE: amy
that's odd... my brother's former band modern explorer did a tribute song for laskas to help with hospital bills.

3/01/2006 07:35:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home