from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

2.09.2006

nature vs. nurture

the debate about homosexuality as a choice or biologically determined is ongoing. but like reliving the wackiness that defined the 80s – parachute pants, jelly shoes, debbie gibson – it hasn't gotten old yet.

i recently sat through a q&a session with judy dlugacz, founder of olivia, who provided an interesting perspective – (paraphrased) she asserted that defending homosexuality as genetic, and denying it as lifestyle choice, effectively succumbs to the ridiculous terms of the debate as defined by the fundamental right.

the point is this: by denying we have a choice about whether or not to be gay and insisting that it is genetically bestowed upon us is like saying: look, i didn’t ask for this. i know it’s wrong. and if i had my way, i’d go straight.

when truth be told, genetic or not, there are plenty of great reasons i choose to be a lesbian.

so what do you say to that?

3 Comments:

Blogger Trista said...

I say that's what I've been saying for years!

I really don't think I could have a sexual relationship with a man, but even if I could, I would STILL choose my partner and my life. I would still be a lesbian. Because I don't see anything wrong with it. I think my life and my love is beautiful.

2/09/2006 02:32:00 PM

 
Anonymous cocoa said...

I say who cares why I prefer to date women? It's what makes me happy. Just like blue being my preference of color and silver being my preference for jewelry.

How about people who prefer to date people that are a different race? I don't see anyone with a bug up their ass about that. Well, I'm sure people are bothered, but I don't see it being questioned as something they were born with, you know?

I can't wait for the day that there is something else to obsess about and we can just love who we want without fear.

2/09/2006 07:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Seriously--not to knock the heteros out there, but even if i HAD a choice i could list a million reasons i would still choose to love women.

2/10/2006 03:46:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home