from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

2.16.2006

reconfirming my disinclination toward going to the doctor

after waking to the MoSt HoRriFiC stabbing pain in my gut (accompanied by some other rather disgusting symptoms) and enduring what seemed like abject hell for several hours, i succumbed to the suggestion of going to a doctor. fortunately, at least my girlfriend was going with me.

since i don’t have on of my own, i had the pleasure of visiting a walk-in. after the usual history/current symptoms questions, doc asked me to lie back. he then pressed his pointy little fingers into my abdomen to the point he probably felt my spine.

“does this hurt?”
“um … yyyes.” [doesn’t is aLwAys hurt when someone digs into your gut?]
“how about when i let go?” [quick withdrawl makes belly jiggle like jello on a washing machine]
“no so much.”

so, doc sends me to a nearby emergency room for some bloodwork just to make sure it’s not appendicitis. after hours in the waiting room, i find myself wearing my first ever hospital gown, having four viles of blood drawn and enduring a first iv (which, of course, is harder to insert when one is dehydrated). the result: chances are (4:5 the doc said) my appendix is fine.

all that for a little gas … er, stomach flu.

5 Comments:

Anonymous cocoa said...

Yuck. I had the exact same problem about a month ago that included 7 hours in the er and a ct scan. But they did give me morphine and I had my blackberry!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

2/16/2006 03:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh NO, Bets! i hope you start to feel better soon!!

2/16/2006 04:39:00 PM

 
Blogger Miss Kris said...

Oh poor thing! Get yourself a pcp soon, m'kay?

2/16/2006 06:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

Well doesn't that give all new meaning to point tenderness?? Hope you are on the mend and able to avoid the evil medical professionals.

2/17/2006 08:03:00 AM

 
Blogger ilisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear you are sick! That sounds like quite an ordeal at the ER. I've been sick with something similar for the past week ... and still dealing with it-- though I'm on the mend. I had to cancel my ski trip and now I'm sulking and recovering at my parent's house in miami. hope you feel better soon!! This stomach virus sucks! :(

2/20/2006 07:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home