from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

3.21.2006

dining

it happens often when i dine out of town and alone: my eyes are too big for my stomach (actually portions are just too darn big), and i’m left there with enough food for an entire meal.

last night i ordered veggie chili and fries at this little dive bar in dc. about five fries into the basket i was stuffed and feeling guilty telling the server, no i didn’t want to take them with me. she put them in a box anyway and said she knew a lot of homeless people who’d enjoy them. fantastic!

too bad health codes and insurance worries keep restaurants from doing this on a more organized level.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kiker said...

That is incredibly cool that she did that. I want to donate the leftover food from our reception to ... somewhere...

3/21/2006 09:34:00 AM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

oohhhh! And, Betsy, if you have a Jason's Deli in Ft. Lauderdale you MUST have a portabello wrapini. Tasty. If no, well then I will have to figure out how to approximate one for you. ;)

3/21/2006 09:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

I lost my train of thought when I read about Jason's Deli. There was one in Austin, TX when I lived there ten years ago. One of the many things I miss about Austin.

3/21/2006 01:43:00 PM

 
Blogger Estelle said...

When I was working in a bakery about 6 years ago, every night they threw away ALL the food. TONS of food. FOOD! I was so pissed off about it. I hated doing it every night and eventually I quit for that reason. FOOD! And I once asked if I could take it and distribute it to people who needed it. On my own time. Nope, can't do that. It has to be thrown away. FOOD!
And Kik, I know exactly where you can take it if you're interested.

3/22/2006 12:39:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

estelle, this is just the problem. i asked about donating food when i worked at an airline -- before there was NO food, there was wasted food every day. there are laws that prevent companies from don'ating left overs. it's tragic.

3/22/2006 12:47:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's why we have luke!!!!!

3/22/2006 10:30:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home