from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

5.18.2006

say it out loud: b-l-o-g

so i started this post in the comments at an accident of hope, but now it’s got me thinking…

trista says “… I say the word "Blog" aloud, and I do, all the time around me it's "blog, blog, blog",”

i am entirely the opposite.

unless i’m having a philosophical, work-related discussion about the impact of the blogosphere (eesh, that word is even worse) on the media and on the practice of public relations (holy dorkishess), for some reason i'm completely overcome by this teenage-type embarassment every time the word ‘blog’ escapes my vocal chords. i have awkwardly gone out of my way to avoid saying ‘blog’. or, prayed that the heat i feel rising to my cheeks when i utter ‘blog’ isn’t visible to those around me. sometimes, in the midst of a conversation, my friends will look at me and say: oh, that’s going to be a blog. and i am awash with shyness. i love amy and ramer’s “i’m blogging this” shirts (because well shouldn't people be warned?). but i’d sooner wear a ‘w for president shirt’. well, okay, truly there’s no way in hell i’d be that embarrassed about ‘blog’, but you get the point.

i have a friend who looks at sunshine somewhat regularly. but he never ever posts comments. instead, he occasionally pulls up the blog while we’re on the phone, so he can comment as we’re talking. i whenever it happens i have this unexplained, negative, visceral response.

do you say ‘blog’ a lot in non-virtual conversation? do you talk about your blog when you’re offline? is it abnormal that i think there is - and should be - this clear separation between bloggersation and conversation?

that was a bit of a rant, wasn’t it… and i didn’t even touching on the verbing of “myspace” (as in, hey, myspace me sometime and we’ll get together.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Breath in. Breath out. repeat. Do not fear the 'blog'. We know you blog. We know you flickr. We know you will never violate our privacy in either medium. 'Blog' will solidify its place in our venacular just quickly as many other things...e.g. snafu, 'cool', 'text me', 'coke'.

It's o.k., really. Befriend 'blog'. It is part of our world and you are particpating in it. Be Proud!!

5/18/2006 05:41:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

and now we have the verbing of flickr... for some reason i feel okay about that. maybe is just feels like a better word.

5/18/2006 11:11:00 PM

 
Blogger Sublime said...

hahaha well I can't stop talking about my blog, I'm such a dork :P
but yes I do say Blog aloud and a lot.

5/19/2006 11:55:00 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

When referring to squirrelly offline I say "site." I see "blog" as more of a tool within a site, but now I feel like I am diggin a dork-hole.

Anyway, I don't know why, but I have a similar response to the "b" word. I fly my dork/geek flag high but always avoid "blog" in favor of "site" when possible.

5/19/2006 12:52:00 PM

 
Blogger Miss Kris said...

When I refer to my blog offline, I call it my online journal. Believe it or not, there are some people out there who do not know the term 'blog'.

I love me some internet. I am not embarassed about having a blog, LiveJournal, Flickr, MySpace, etc., but do get embarassed when people ask how Tony & I met and I have to tell them, 'over the internet'.

5/19/2006 03:53:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home