from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

5.02.2006

they might be old school geeks

talk about a throwback. they might be giants played in ft. lauderdale last night. the venue is one that has been in town for years. as i stood on the mezzanine level watching the guys play, i was utterly nostalgic.

eleven or so years back, when the place was the edge – or was it the chili pepper then – i was there with the girl who would become my first girlfriend. i think we were seeing toad the wet sprocket. apparently we hadn’t fully had the revelation at that point, because as we downed a six pack of zima (don’t laugh, you know you drank them at least once with jolly ranchers) we made a bet about who would be able to kiss a random boy first. ridiculous, right? but for some reason fun at the time. i’ll blame it on alcohol-influenced youth.

the show also made me think of close friends who i do not see often enough and who were were with me in tallahassee the first time i saw tmbg live.

i love live music – particularly when the crowd is large – because i don’t know of anything else that makes so many strangers so happy at the same time and in each other’s presence. the crowd at tmbg was one of the best i’ve ever been in. everyone was smiling and happy … it’s otherwise unheard of, really: lots of strangers smiling. in general and at each other. and i don’t mean happy in that pumping fist in the air ‘yeah man that band f*ing rocked’ sort of way. it was more of a shared knowing smile that said, ‘wow, these guys are crazy witty, and damn good musicians.’

i bet they were the biggest geeks in high school.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kiker said...

Aw.... I wish I had been with you!

5/03/2006 09:59:00 AM

 
Blogger Miss Kris said...

I wish I had been there with you, too! I love their shows and I loved that you sent me a text message while you were there :)

5/03/2006 02:31:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home