from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

6.26.2006

beware of bird

for whatever reason, i was raised with a sort of reverence for mockingbirds – perhaps it was the book. we always took note when the ‘family bird’ returned to the yard each year. the parents always taught me that mockingbirds fiercely protect their territory. i always thought it was just a tale…

atticus may have said that mockingbirds do nothing but 'sing their heart out for us,' but it is in fact true that they are valiant protectors of their space. the pup and i took a couple of long walks around the neighborhood this weekend. both times, we found ourselves at an intersection that was clearly marked territory for a local mockingbird. on two separate occasions, at the same intersection, the resident mockingbird swoop toward us repeatedly. i had to waive my arms wildly to shoo her away. fortunately, she must not have felt too threatened, because she backed off without actually planting her beak in my head.

whew.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting ... my mom had a similar experience recently - in their driveway! of course, dad was laughing too hard to do anything and my grandmother was oblivious as to what was going on. thank goodness kik is safe from the crazy birds! kaa ... kaa ...

6/26/2006 11:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

I would keep kik clear of that intersection over the weekend. Knowing her the bird will find her way to your house and stake out your backyard as her new territory.

And what was Alex doing during the arms flapping? Did she try to help shoo the bird?

6/27/2006 09:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

There were several nests near the chapel at my college campus. Each year we would watch as unsuspecting freshmen would walk the shortcut path through this red zone. It was hysterical to watch people flail about as the birds swooped down, knowing we had all been previous victims.

6/27/2006 10:00:00 AM

 
Blogger Sublime said...

hahahaha if that had happened to me, I would be runnig around screaming like crazy.

it seems you are adjusting well to new life huh?

6/27/2006 10:58:00 AM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

I am so NOT going on a walk with you this weekend!

6/27/2006 12:44:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

i feel strangely relieved to not be the only one who's wandered into the 'red zone'.

kik... there are other roads. walk we will. but we'll steer clear of the bird's space.

maybe i should name her.

6/27/2006 10:30:00 PM

 
Anonymous Leigh ANn said...

Happy Fourth..Welcome back to Atlanta. I liked your site song so I left it playing in the background while I worked....thought Id say hello anyway.

7/05/2006 05:01:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home