from my state – literally and figuratively – and other places. i'm not in florida any more, but i haven't given up the sunshine.

6.02.2006

talking to strangers

sometimes we go out into the world and don’t speak to anyone we don’t already know. other times we end up learning a stranger’s life story.

last night was one of those “other” nights. while out with a few friends, a guy gave us a tour of the tattoos covering his back and shoulders. they told the story of how he lost his wife, mother and daughter in an instant, when he and his family were hit by a drunk driver. the driver was his neighbor.

how’s that for a heavy night at the bar?

as if that weren’t enough, he and i started talking and like an unsolicited palm reader, this stranger told me who i am and what i’m about … with (mostly) uncanny accuracy. he said some things i thought only i knew about myself, and other things not even my closest friends verbalize. after what seemed like an eternity, i finally had to find an excuse to break away from this very intense conversation. at the time, i was floored.

clearly, being floored was beer induced. when i woke this morning my first thought was: wtf?! where does this guy get off thinking he knows me and having the unabated audacity to read me my life.

in the end, he happened to catch me at a very emotional stage in my journey. the fact of the matter is, the guy was interesting and made me think – about his loss, about love, and about life in general. i guess that’s not such a terrible experience with a perfect stranger.

what’s your best meeting a stranger story?

6 Comments:

Blogger Sublime said...

Well that was very intense.. I have to say that working at an airline gives you lots of experiences with strangers (this was from '98 to '04) and I had lots of this, not as intense as yours but there's one that I always remember because it was funny (all this enciunters lasted 15 minutes the most lol) there was this really nice canadian cuople returning from celebrating their 25th aniversary in my city, I was 25 at the time, and from out of nowhere I told them "25 huh? I could be the reason why you two got married" and suddenly they both laughed so hard everyone was starring at us, they hugged me and when they left hugged me again saying "goodbye my daughter"
well that's my story...

6/02/2006 01:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

...and the things not even my closest friends verbalize??? Now I am just curious.

How much beer do you need?

6/02/2006 03:04:00 PM

 
Blogger betsy said...

cindy -- that was him talking, not me ;)

and sublime -- i love your story!

6/02/2006 03:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

Him talking with uncanny accuracy you said.

Still curious. :o)

6/02/2006 04:39:00 PM

 
Blogger Kiker said...

Oh my encounters with strangers in a bar...

I have met some folks I really enjoyed. I have met some folks that SWORE that they knew more about me than I knew about myself (which, depending on the time in my life may or may not have been true). And I have heard some whacked out stories.

But, as you know Bets, I am not the first person to look for a friend in a bar.... (Amy Kellogg, I am looking at you here).

6/05/2006 03:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Sublime said...

Thanx Betsy, that is my most memorable storie from the airport, but I have lots not as happy as that one lol

6/07/2006 10:44:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home